Friday, May 18, 2012

What Is An Apprentice

Specializing in fine portraits of Families, Children and high school Seniors for over 30 years in Hawaii.
 Webster defines Apprentice as: A person under legal agreement to work a specified length of time for a master craftsman in a craft or trade in return for instruction.

I have been a working professional photographer since I graduated from High School in 1971. I graduated from the New York Institute of Photography in 1982. I apprenticed with a master photographer for over a year in 1983~'84. Finally I "took the plunge" and opened my full time portrait business in 1993.

Since then I have taught and mentored several hobbyists and "serious" photographers who apprenticed with me, and at least 3 of them are now working professional photographers.

I enjoy teaching and sharing with others who have a love for photography, and I am currently an associate Instructor with the Hawaii School of Photography. My time, knowledge and experience are valuable.

In my business, an apprentice is a person who trades their time and helpful assistance in exchange for knowledge and instruction in the art, science and business of photography. Specifically Portrait Photography. This is a type of "barter"...money is not exchanged.

While that is the case, the position of apprentice does have qualifications and expectations. A primary qualification is a desire and ability to learn. Because the apprentice will be present and in contact with clients, and in that capacity will be representing my business, they will be expected to arrive at the assignment on time, with a clean, neat appearance, and dressed appropriately.

An apprentice must be responsible, honest and punctual. He or she is expected to answer or return phone calls or emails in a reasonably timely fashion. While being an photographer's apprentice is a fun position, portrait photography is a professional service business, and as such, professionalism and a degree of decorum is required.  

I am currently looking for a part time apprentice. If you live on Oahu and are interested, please contact me. My contact info may be found on my website: www;ParamountPhotography.com


No comments:

Post a Comment