Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My First Pro Photography Job




It was the summer after my Senior year in high school. I lived in the little "bedroom" community of Camarillo, California, and I had fallen in love with photography a few years before. I don't remember what had happened to the Yashika twin lens camera I had been given that started my journey into the world of photography, but I had since saved up and bought myself a Pentax K1000 35mm camera. I bought the camera kit, which came with a 50mm F1.4 lens, and a 35 to 150mm zoom lens. I loved that camera! It was tough! You could drive nails with it!

So I answered an ad in the local newspaper for a job in the paper's photo archives and darkroom. And they hired me! What a mess their archives were in! But the fun part was the darkroom, and now and then they would send me out to a local school sports event to get photographs. What a blast! I was a professional photographer at 17 years old!

I finally got their archives organized, don't ask me how...and it took all summer! What I do remember is how much fun I had covering the school games, and then seeing my photos in the paper! That was so cool! And of course now that I was a "professional" it was even easier to get pretty girls to pose for me! That was the beginning of my photographing new and "wannabe" models, and creating models portfolios. And it was the start of my glamour and boudoir photography career. I love this job! And I have since I was 17 years old!

No comments:

Post a Comment